18-month-old child killed in Pittsburgh drive-by shooting


PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — An 18-month-old child has died after a drive-by shooting.

During a balloon release, family and friends were still stunned after 18-month-old De’Avry Thomas was shot dead in a Sunday afternoon drive-by shooting in downtown Pittsburgh.

According to the police, a bullet passed through the window of the Jeep, hitting the little boy who was inside. He died at the scene.

Barbara Jean Johnson is De’Avry’s grandmother.

“Everyone loved him. He was a special child for all of us. He is named after my other deceased great-nephew,” she said.

Pittsburgh Public Safety confirmed that another passenger in the vehicle was the intended target, not the child and his mother.

Police have arrested and charged Londell Falconer, 26, with homicide and criminal conspiracy for his involvement in De’Avry’s murder.

According to the criminal complaint, Falconer and another unidentified man were captured by surveillance cameras in a Jeep Compass with Illinois plates. Police then received a call that two men dumped the car and drove off.

Investigators say they connected Falconer through DNA evidence and fingerprints on a nearby Red Bull can.

At first he denied any involvement but later said he was the driver, police said.

“I want justice done and I want him to serve. I want him to do life without parole. I want him to suffer for what you did to my grandson,” Johnson said.

The motive for the shooting is unclear. An arrest warrant has just been issued against a second suspect, Markez Anger.

“He was an 18-month-old baby. He didn’t deserve this,” Johnson said. “You took my grandson away from me. I really don’t know why that target happened, but it was a missed tragedy, a missed target that took my grandson away from me.

“He had no life. My grandson had no life. So, I thank God that God had him.

Johnson said her daughter was simply shopping downtown when the tragic shooting happened.

Copyright 2022 KDKA via CNN Newsource. All rights reserved.


Comments are closed.