OSSINING, NY – Celebrate the annual winter migration of bald eagles to the lower Hudson Valley at Eaglefest 2022 and get ready for some fun by entering the Teatown Birds of Prey Photo Contest.
This year, Teatown will host a mix of online and outdoor activities during the 3-day festival, including events in the nature reserve and guided walks at Croton Point Park. Tickets are on sale now. Learn more and register here.
The list of in-person and virtual presenters includes:
- Christine Peyreigne, who became a falconer at just 16 and started hunting with her red-tailed hawk, Theron;
- Brian Bradley, one of the greatest luring falconers in the Northeast;
- Anne Swaim returns to present her virtual and popular program “Raptor for Rookies”.
The Teatown Birds of Prey will also make their usual unforgettable appearances.
In-person programs will have limited capacities and will take place outdoors, so be prepared to dress warmly.
Snacks and hot beverages will be available for purchase at the Teatown Visitor Center. The Nature Store will be stocked with amazing “all about birds” merchandise, including books, games, toys and the new exclusive Teatown EagleFest t-shirts.
Check the EagleFest website often for updates and information on new programs.
As you plan, take your camera out.
The second annual Teatown Hudson River EagleFest Photography Contest opened Thursday and the deadline is Jan. 30. This year’s contest is in honor and memory of Ed Mertz, a resident of Croton-on-Hudson, longtime Teatown supporter and well-known bird and wildlife photographer.
Photographers are encouraged to submit their photos showing a bird of prey (e.g. eagles, owls, hawks, hawks, etc.) whether perched in a tree, hovering in midair or eating fish on the pack ice of the Hudson River.
The photo competition jury includes:
- Bill Graham, longtime national and international birding photographer and Zeiss Sports Optics representative
- Lisa Kelly, Teatown animal care supervisor and raptor training expert
- Famous Hudson Valley photographer Mike Stewart (www.lens-work.com), administrator of the Facebook pages “Peekskill NY In Pictures” and “Historic Peekskill NY in Pictures”, and archivist of photography at the Peekskill Museum
- Kevin Carter, Executive Director of Teatown
First, second and third place winners will receive Zeiss Sports Optics binoculars, and a fourth place runner-up will receive an LL Bean gift card.
Winners will be announced on February 3 before the start of Eaglefest 2022. Learn more here.