Sioux Falls Christian handed the Watertown High School women’s basketball team their first home loss of the season Saturday night in the Civic Arena.
The Chargers (7-2) took control with a strong third quarter and held off a late Arrows comeback for a 44-40 non-conference win.
Watertown fell to 6-2 this season and are now 5-1 at home.
Ellie Lems scored 15 points and Rachel VanNieuwenhuyzen 11 to lead Sioux Falls Christian, who made 17 of 42 field goal attempts for 41% and finished with 25 rebounds, eight by Kyla van Donkersgoed and six by Lems.
Christian overcame an 18-15 halftime deficit with a 19-13 third-quarter surge. The Chargers led 39-31 early in the final period before Watertown collected seven straight points – a free throw from Maddy Rohde, two free throws from Miranda Falconer and two field goals from Kelsey Paulson – to draw it 39-38 with 2:15 remaining.
The Arrows even had a chance to take the lead, but Christian held on and Lems had two free throws with 12.4 seconds left to complete the game.
Paulson led a balanced Arrow offense with eight points. Jaida Young added seven and Grace Ortmeier and Rohde six each. Young also grabbed six rebounds and Rohde five.
Watertown made 16 of 43 field goal attempts for 37% and also had 25 rebounds.
The Arrows host Rapid City Stevens at 6 p.m. Friday and Rapid City Central at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Civic Arena.
• Lakota Tech 43, Florence-Henri 41 – Lakota Tech (11-1) handed Florence-Henry (7-1) their first loss of the season at the 39th Hanson Corn Palace Classic.
Tawney Rodriguez had 14 points and nine rebounds, Jodene Humter 10 points, Shayla Bravo nine points and Moriah Morisette eight rebounds for Lakota Tech, which outscored the Falcons 39-19.
Caylin Kelly’s 13 points and 11 rebounds paced the Falcons, who missed a potentially game-winning shot at the buzzer. Trinity Watson contributed 11 points, Aubrie Hartley eight points, Carlie Moe eight rebounds and Taylor Watson six points, four assists and three steals.
• Lennox 44, Deubrook area 43 – Ryan Hansen’s 13 points and Andi Peters’ 11 propelled Lennox to victory in the 39th Corn Palace Classic.
Drew Kuyper added nine points and 10 rebounds for the Orioles (5-6).
Emma Sheffield scored 10 points, Emma Vandermeer nine and Miranda Moravetz and Skyla Petersen each seven for the Dolphins (6-3). Peterson also had six rebounds. Vandermeer had four assists and three steals.
• Preston Lake 54, Dawson-Boyd 48 – Hadlee Holt’s 28 points and 16 rebounds propelled Lake Preston to victory in the Dakota Valley Conference Classic. Marissa Rober added 13 points and Faith Steffensen seven points, 17 rebounds and six steals for the Divers (5-5).
Kate Dahl scored 14 points and Laney Bartunek 12 for Dawson-Boyd (0-15).
• Clinton-Graceville-Beardsley 55, Elkton-Lake Benton 42 – Jessica Moberg scored 24 points to lead CGB to victory in the Dakota Valley Conference Classic. Grace Cardell contributed 10 and Hayley Ward eight.
Rchael Krog finished with 12 points and nine rebounds and Kylie Ramlo nine and 14 for the Elks (3-7), who also got 10 points from Tevan Erickson and eight rebounds from Emily Robbins.
• Other Classic DVC Games – In other games, Arlington (7-2) edged Hills-Beaver Creek (Minn.) 72-34, Estelline-Hendricks (5-7) edged Ortonville (Minn.) 53-32 and Castlewood (6- 2) shot down Westbrook-Walnut Grove (Minn.) 46-32. No other details were reported.
• Tri-State 66, Maple River 56 – Tri-State (5-6) increased its winning streak to four games with the win. No other details were reported.
• other game – No scores or other details were available for the Great Plains Lutheran vs North Central game in Aberdeen.
Other sheet music from South Dakota
Herreid-Selby Area 42, Linton-HMB, ND 39
Mitchell 45, Peter 41
New Underwood 56, Timber Lake 50
Philip 69, Columbus 20
Rapid City Stevens 74, Campbell County, Wyo. 38
West Central 64, St. Thomas More 42
West River Tournament
Hot springs 65, Oelrichs 38
Moorcroft, Wyoming 50, Newell 34
Faith 36, Upton, Wyo. 33
Wall 46, Edgemont 35
Good Man 58, Chamberlain 47
Brandon Valley 54, Douglas 22
Burke 49, Gayville-Volin 39
Dupree 47, Lemon 38
Hill City 49, Sundance, Wyoming 14
Scotland 38, Freeman Academy-Marion 19
Sioux Falls Lincoln 47, Huron 45
Sioux Falls O’Gorman 68, Yankton 33
Tea Zone 53, Aberdeen Central 46
Dakota Valley Conference Classic (Other games)
Colman-Egan 63, Pipestone, Minnesota 54
Dell Rapids St. Mary 55, Adrian-Ellsworth, Minnesota 25
Oldham-Ramona-Rutland 49, Benson, Minnesota 20
Classic Hanson Corn Palace
Bridgewater-Emery 60, Highmore-Harrold 45
Hanson 64, Wolsey-Wessington 47
Parkston 42, St. Thomas More 38
Viborg Hurley 49, Ethan 38
Wagner 75, Mid-West 47
Winner 55, Andes Central-Dakota Christian 40
Classic Sacred Heart Hoops
Newcastle, Wyoming 58, Rapid City Christian 45
Rapid City Central 53, Campbell County, Wyo. 39
Thunder Basin, Wyoming 66, Pine Ridge 8
West River Tournament
Wall 33, Faith 31
Upton, Wyoming 43, Edgemont 39
Hot Springs 47, Moorcroft, Wyo. 40
Newell 54, Oelrich 36